Friday, January 02, 2009

 

Book Review: The Last Lecture - Randy Pausch

I was looking for a self-help book recently on Amazon and I came across this one.
I checked the local libraries and it was booked solid. I had to put it on hold. I mentioned it to my wife and she knew all about it. A friend pointed me to the YouTube video.

I was up later than normal one night and figured I watch part of it before I fell asleep. I ended up watching the whole thing in one sitting.

The video covers much of what's in the book. It's a really fast read (206 small pages) and I would suggest reading the book first. It's simple principles, emotional and really makes you think about what's important in life. Randy has terminal cancer as he writes. His thoughts are crystal clear and get right to the point. I love the title of his lecture, "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams". It's a different approach to shedding light on goal setting or just how to be happy. The dream can be simple. It's just so much fun achieving dreams even if they're simple. One of his that seems idiotic is to win large stuffed animals at carnivals. He made it fun and it really adds to the thought of dreaming like a child.

I've always been the most happy when in pursuit of a dream.

Some stuff from the book I really enjoyed:

He had a tough football coach that he learned a lot from. I can relate. He wanted to be a pro player but realized he still learned a lot chasing this dream even though he did not go pro.

Allowing his niece and nephew pour soda in the back of his nice new convertible. People are more important than things. They'll never forget that.

Brick walls are there for people who won't make the effort to go through them. His stories on how he broke through the Disney Imagineering and NASA's weightless program brick walls are awesome inspiration.

There are many quick chapters with great titles and info like for example, "Look For The Best In Everybody". I liked this one too "If At First You Don't Succeed..." This one talks about cliche's.
"Dance with the one who brought you"
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"
"Whether you think you can or can't, your right."
"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

I walk away from this book wanting to pay most attention to the things that matter. Your family, your dreams, help others and not wasting time or thought on ridiculous things.
Thanks Randy.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]