Tuesday, February 06, 2007

 

Latest CD in my player is smokin' !

While at Lotusphere, I was lucky enough to catch The Robert Cray Band at the House of Blues. It was Awesome! When I got home, one of the first things I did was check iTunes for his new live cd release. They were selling the 2 disc set at the show but I didn't have $20 cash on me. On iTunes, there's a bonus song not on the disc, "Smoking Gun". I'm really grooving to this cd. I can't believe I've been missing this artist. He's currently touring with Eric Clapton. How cool is this show?
This disc got me thinking about my Top 5 Deserted Island Live discs.
In order, they are:
1. The Allman Brothers Band - Live At Filmore East
- This is the album that turned me on to the Allman Brothers. It's the one that got me into Jam bands all together. The raspy soul vocals of Gregg Allman and the dueling guitars of Dicky Betts and Duane Allman make this a classic. Don't stop with this one. Pick up all their live material if you can. It's smokin' good blues music.
2. Grateful Dead - Closing of Winterland
- This is a tough one to pick but I have to chose something from my huge collection of Dead recordings. I like this time period of 77-78. Scarlet Begonias/Fire On The Mountain is my favorite jam from the Dead and this set starts out with it. The DVD is a great companion to this and it's fun to watch the hippies.
3. Neil Young - Live Rust
- This was the first Neil Young I started with. It's a great place to start with Neil. It begins with an acoustic set and finishes electric. Most of the great songs are here.
4. Gov't Mule - The Deepest End
- This two disc and one DVD is taken from shows at the New Orleans Jazz festival. Many guest artists make appearences and keep the music lively. Of course, you have Warren Haynes conducting and crunching out great original and remake material. This was the towards the end of the celebration of their late bass player, Allen Woody. There's material from their two studio cd's that had many guest bass players.
5. Eric Clapton - Crossroads 2
- Four discs of Clapton in the 70's and his live jams. My favorite is the guest appearance of Carlos Santana on "Eyesight to the Blind". All the early 70's Clapton is here and jamming.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]