Sunday, October 08, 2006

 

Top 10 songs

Inspired by Sean Burgess's recent post and the last book I've read, High Fidelity, I present my 10 favorite songs. There's a funny scene in the book where Rob is interviewed for a local newspaper. Top 5 lists occur many times and are debated throughout the book. When the reporter asks Rob for his top 5 songs, he freaks a little. He struggles to get them out and then later has to phone the reporter to adjust his list. I have some of the same feelings Rob has about the importance of the top 10 list. I'll try and make it easier on myself by picking songs from my favorite artist but only give them one pick each. They have to be songs I'd never surf away from when they're on the radio.

Artist/song:

1. Grateful Dead - Scarlet Begonias/Fire On The Mountain - Ok, I sort of bend my own rule on my first pick. But, The Dead combine these two song so nicely in the late seventies shows. I love the combination of the psychedelic jamming of Scarlet Begonias and the reggae rythms of Fire On The Mountain. Affectionately known as Scarlet/Fire amoung Deadheads. Oh yeah, I have the Liquid Blue tshirt of the song.

2. The Allman Brothers Band - Whipping Post - The opening base line draws you in to it's power. Gregg Allman's vocals are awesome as he screams the emotion of this song.("Good lord, I feel like I'm dying!") Whether it's Dickey Betts/Duane Allman or Warren Haynes/Derek Trucks, the dual guitar attack is awesome and classic Allman Brothers.

3. Neil Young/Crazy Horse - Cowgirl In The Sand - It's a jamming song. I love the long live versions. I don't have any clue what the lyrics are saying. Even so, it does conjure up emotion. I don't know why. I guess that's why it's so great.
Neil releases a live cd from the 70's on 11/14/06, "Live at the Fillmore East". I see that "Down By The River" is on it. I don't have a live version of that song and I bet it jams, too.

4. Bob Marley - Waiting In Vain - I can't believe I never heard of Bob Marley and Reggae till I went on my honeymoon in Jamaica. I couldn't wait to get home and buy Legend. What a great soul. We miss Bob!

5. Bob Dylan - Tangled Up In Blue - It's my artsy pick. I really like the Bootleg series from 75 with this song and Hurricane.

6. Jimmy Buffett - Margaritaville - It's a party. Nuff said.

7. Bruce Springsteen - The River - My Bruce pick is tough. I'll go with The River for it's emotion and it reminds me of my home town. In a diffent mood, I could pick Rosalita or Born To Run.

8. Dave Matthews Band - Crash Into Me - Tough for me to pick one from Dave too. I'll go with this sentimental favorite but I really love many of the songs on "EveryDay" and "Busted Stuff".

9. Van Morrison - Into The Mystic - I discovered Van Morrison later in my life too. Now, I can't get enough. The beauty of some of his songs is unmatched. His voice is an instrument I never tire of.

10. The Beatles - A Day In The Life - How do you pick one Beatles song? I'm a huge fan of John Lennon. I'll take "A Day In The Life" for it's uniqueness.

Now, I'm struggling cause I realize I've missed Derek and The Domino's Layla , Lynyrd Skynyrd's Free Bird, no Gov't Mule or Jerry Garcia's solo stuff. Lists are tough.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]